Skip to main navigation
Skip to site navigation

University Links

School of Music Links

Graduate Transfer Students

APPLY For more information, audition requirements, or to get started with your application, visit

Transfer Credit Towards the Masters Degree:

With the approval of the School of Music and the academic advisor, a student may transfer from another accredited graduate school up to six semester hours of graduate work toward a master’s degree with a thesis and up to 12 semester hours toward a non-thesis master’s degree. Transferred work must be completed with a grade of B or higher and will be accepted only for credit toward a graduate degree at SFA and not for purposes of raising the grade point averages earned at SFA. The work must have been taken not earlier than six years prior to the student’s first graduate enrollment at SFA. Moreover, if the student fails to complete work on the graduate degree at SFA before the expiration of the six years, the work will not be applicable toward a degree here. The transcript must clearly show the course(s) to be transferred was (were) taken for graduate credit.

NOTE: Course work used to satisfy requirements for a previous master’s degree (whether taken at SFA or elsewhere) may NOT be used to satisfy requirements for a second master’s degree at SFA. The university is very strict in adherence to this policy.